Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Making new memories reluctantly

I grew up in the Salt Lake area for more than a majority of my life. save just over a year I traveled and lived in other states and the time in college I have never really known anyone home. I know this city as second nature, but the way I see it is transforming.

I have been working in Salt Lake City as a photojournalist for about 5 months now and landmarks are beginning to have different meanings to me. I have noticed this a bit the last little while but yesterday the feeling was just too strong to not notice.

I was leaving a business and heading back to the station. The area felt familiar I thought maybe I had lived in the area but I was wrong. i was passed by a black truck and the memory came rushing back. I was at this same intersection about 6 weeks ago trying to film a car wreck without getting too much blood in the shot. A woman had been hit and killed by a person who ran through a stop sign. I remembered every detail of the bloody aftermath. i shivered in my seat.

Earlier that day I was in Provo near BYU Campus and I was not thinking of the memory of the State swimming tournament I went to in high school. The strongest memory was of the funeral I was sent down to cover. this morbid reminiscent feeling came to me multiple times that day.

I am afraid that eventually the entire city I grew up in and loved with be just a collection of morbid puzzle pieces. That every landmark will be stained with the blood of some unfortunate stranger who I will never meet in pleasant circumstances.

The only defense I have is to create some amazing new memories in this city. so here is your invitation to help me create good memories in Salt Lake. Let's go have some fun. I am starting it off right by going to a Murs concert tonight. (I am very excited)



No comments: